I posted two days ago that we’d be having our Neurological Reorganization (NR) check-up this week. We’ve been doing our tailored program faithfully for a little over three months, and I have some very exciting results to report! I will preface all this by saying that I have been a bit weary, had my doubts about how things were going, and was not fully aware of how much progress we had made until I talked through it all today with my practitioner. This program is not easy — but it is incredibly therapeutic and miraculous in my mind. So here’s a list of some of our improvements with my 11-year-old daughter. I hope you are sitting down…
- She’s happier than she has been in at least 4 years. This alone is priceless — my sad/angry/depressed/despairing little girl has been replaced by a cheerful, hopeful tween. With this program, I no longer fear for her mental health in her teen and adult years. PRICELESS, I tell you.
- No seizures (at least that we know of) since November 13th. She had been having brief petit mal seizures about once a week or every two weeks, give or take, since late 2015.
- Far less oppositional/defiant behavior. She still has her moments, but overall is a much more cooperative person.
- More affectionate and more confident in expressing herself verbally and asking for what she wants/needs. She was much more withdrawn before we started NR.
- Better sense of satiety. She still eats a lot, but seems to get full and realize it, whereas before she would just eat non-stop if allowed to.
- Better impulse control and sense of personal space. She hasn’t run up on and bear hugged any strangers lately, for example.
- Her vertical and lateral eye tracking has improved — she can read with less difficulty now.
- Better singing voice. What?? She seemed to be tone deaf for awhile, but all of a sudden I’m hearing her carry a tune much better.
Phenomenal, isn’t it?? And this is all without medication or a special diet — just me working on physical exercises and movements with her for a couple hours a day. Two of my boys do the program with her as well and have also had improvements, but her issues were bigger and she is the reason we sought out NR, so that is why I’m focusing on her.
Although we have noticed some improvement in the areas I mentioned above, we are still expecting further progress in those areas. In addition, there are a few other things we expect NR to address where I haven’t noticed as much progress so far:
- Very little sensitivity to pain, and as a consequence is too rough with others and lacking compassion.
- Very little sensitivity to cold or heat. She would’ve gone out in this “bomb cyclone” without a jacket if I let her.
- Has a slight lisp – can not say “s” sound properly.
- Still doesn’t hear and/or process auditory information very well – does not enjoy being read to or watching movies with much dialog because she can’t keep up and follow the story at the pace it’s being told.
- Difficulty following multi-step directions.
- Difficulty reading and understanding some social cues.
- Monotone speech.
So we’ve still got some issues, but overall I am extremely encouraged and motivated to continue with NR. Even better, my kids are motivated, too. I may have shared this before, but in case you missed it, I was completely at my wit’s end with my daughter in particular, and pretty much with all my kids and their constant bickering and behavioral issues, before I finally found NR. I’ve been homeschooling them since fall of 2012 and was beginning to think I could not go on. This was our last hope, and it seems to have come just in time!